Monday, March 9, 2015

Best Starting 5 That Did NOT Win NBA Title

Mentioned this on twitter the other night and got a bunch of responses.  My two (off the top of my head with no research or stats back up) were...

1993-94 ORLANDO MAGIC

PG: Penny Hardaway
SG: Nick Anderson
SF: Dennis Scott
PF: Horace Grant
C: Shaquille O'Neal

1995-96 SEATTLE SUPERSONICS

PG: Gary Payton
SG: Hersey Hawkins
SF: Detlef Schrempf
PF: Shawn Kemp
C: Ervin Johnson

I heard a lot of suggestions, but I stand by these two.   (I should probably point out that teams prior to the 1980s I did not include.  There was like 8 teams, and I went with what I know.)

Another criteria people seem to overlook was they guys had to be nasty THAT season.  Not for their career.

I got a lot of...

2003-04 LOS ANGELES LAKERS
PG: Gary Payton
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Devean George
PF: Karl Malone
C: Shaquille O'Neal

The Mailman was a shell of himself.  11.5 PPG in the playoffs.  D. George?  He went D3 so I respect him, but still.  Kobe/ Shaq are legit obviously, they did win 3 straight from 2000-02.  I understand this submission, but reject it.

Others I got...

1996-97 UTAH JAZZ
PG: John Stockton
SG: Jeff Hornacek
SF: Bryon Russell
PF: Karl Malone
C: Greg Ostertag

Two Dream Teamers and Three shit bums.  Ok, Horny could shoot, but I'm a no on late 90s Jazz.

Mid 1990s NEW YORK KNICKS
PG: Derek Harper
SG: John Starks
SF: Charles Smith
PF: Charles Oakley
C: Patrick Ewing

Strong.  I'll still take the Sonics or the Magic.

1996-97 HOUSTON ROCKETS
PG: Matt Maloney
SG: Clyde Drexler
SF: Mario Elie
PF: Charles Barkley
C: Hakeem Olajuwon

So, this is kinda like the 03-04 Lakers where a group of the starting lineup had won previously.  I know why people want to mention this group.  3 Hall of Famers!!!  Matt Maloney though?  Matt Maloney and Mario Elie?  I'll pass.


These last three teams I loved and deserve recognition.

1999-2000 PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS
PG: Damon Stoudamire
SG: Steve Smith
SF: Scottie Pippen
PF: Rasheed Wallace
C: Arvydas Sabonis

2001-02 SACRAMENTO KINGS
PG: Mike Bibby
SG: Doug Christie
SF: Peja Stojakovic
PF: Chris Webber
C: Vlade Divac

2004-05 PHOENIX SUNS
PG: Steve Nash
SG: Joe Johnson
SF: Quentin Richardson
PF: Shawn Marion
C: Amar'e Stoudemire

Hmmm... Starting to think one of these teams could be the best ever not to win.  There's no right answer, but there are wrong answers and they include Matt Maloney.




No comments: